Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Branching Out

While Chris is working on his book on a daily basis, I wanted to sink my teeth into something other than sauna heating, meal preparation, and reading. Although all of these are fulfilling in their own way, I wanted to participate in the life of the local town and befriend Finns, not just rely on family connections. I figure there is something to be learned too in making friends and setting down even small and temporary roots.

So it is I decided to start branching out. At the handicraft store yesterday, I talked to the owner and woman who runs the shop. Starting Thursday, she has agreed to teach me how to weave. This is particularly exciting as I always enjoy learning traditional crafts. As I spend some time with her, I'll start probing whether she knows some good knitters and felters and maybe I can pick up some more skill there. I just learned to knit in December and although I've come a bit of a way so far, I'd really like to learn more.

Then I asked at the library if it would make any sense for me to offer a conversational English group. I had to come back this morning to talk with the library chief and he was delightful and we've booked 2 hrs per day from Aug 1-11. The room where the class will be is terrific and includes a small kitchen. I've already thought of some activity based classes, including world cooking, arts and crafts, and games. I'll make posters later this week and start putting them up Thursday and Friday.

While talking to the library chief, he suggested we contact the local paper and see if they wouldn't do a write-up. I talked with them this morning and at 1pm I met with a reporter who did a lengthy interview with me and took several photos. The article is supposed to appear in Thursday's paper. How funny, eh? The interviewer asked where I get the energy from, that most Finns wouldn't go to a new town and in a matter of weeks decide to start a new group. She said they'd probably just watch tv. I'm not sure what I think of the question. Do most Finns just watch tv? It doesn't seem like it. And where do I get that drive - I hardly noticed it was there even. Anyway, that's that. I'm looking forward to the English class and, more specifically, meeting some local folks. There is much to learn.

I also have some other options to 'get involved', including the local seniors home, the church youth group, a daycare, and we'll see what else turns up. There's a camp for 14-18 year olds in mid-August that I was thinking of volunteering at as well. That might be fun and depends on how I can manage both my English class and the camp.

This morning I painted the porch at the cottage. Tonight I'm hoping to do some fishing, heat the sauna, get some reading done. When my uncle, aunt and I went on a 4-day boat trip to visit some of their friends, I finished both of the books I had brought along so that I had to borrow one from their friends. They only really had Finnish books so I took one and finished it yesterday. It was surprisingly easy and I find it really gets my head around Finnish so that I even end up dreaming in Finnish. Plus there's the added value that it was a Finnish author and I get to read some local talent.

So that's it for now. Crazy adventures on this end. Chris called my interview a press conference. Made me laugh. He seems to be doing really well on the book too. I'm eager to read the last two chapters he's just finished. Tomorrow Mika, Sian and I meet up to visit the local castle and for an old school Finnish smoke sauna. It will be my third already this summer. What a luxury indeed.

In brief, life is very good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's great, Miia! Will you post the news article for us to read?

Maybe you can spend some time in the conversational English classes doing some knitting :)